Monday, May 3, 2010

focusing and reading......


Israel likes to explore, probably the same with any child his age and trying to learn to walk.....but I want to teach him to be able to focus so I have him play in his playard around 30 minutes between each nap. He plays with his toys soooo much better in there...I set the timer and he knows that when it goes off it is time to get out. He is able to focus and not become distracted with the world around him:) He is able to learn better because he plays with an individual toy instead of going from one thing to the next.

Today I was thinking about when I read to him he will usually only sit on my lap and focus for one or two pages and then he wants to get down and explore or do the book himself, flipping through the pages. Soooo, I removed all the toys from his playard and got in the playard with him and we began to read....I read three whole books to him until he was ready to be done. He even pointed to a ball on the page and said "Bah" which is a first....YAY! I only brought in one book at a time because I knew he would want to play with the other books while I read instead of focusing.

I am happy with the results and plan to do this from now on....right now he just needs that option of exploration taken away until he learns to focus better:)

No comments: