Monday, February 4, 2008

Weekend retreat



Hola!

We just got back from our retreat trip to BarBar Blanca in the mountains of Peru. The men/women usually go to separate locations for this trip but this time we went to the same place. The women/men did separate activities while we were there.

It was a nice quiet time away from the city and also a great opportunity for me to get to know some of the girls better. We went on hikes, sat around the campfire, had bible studies, and worshipped the Lord with praise songs.
In the morning I went and sat on a rock next to the rushing river to be alone with the Lord. It was such an intimate time communing with the Lord in the middle of His glorious creation. There is something about being in the middle of nowhere that makes you realize how small you really are. It amazes me how God takes care of every little creature, each having its own purpose & place.
The Lord has really been speaking to my heart about staying in constant communion with Him, and challenging me to ask in every situation I find myself, "Lord, what would you have me to do?" I can't say that I have always been obedient but I have a desire to and I am praying the Lord would remind me that it is Him that I should fear (in reverence) and not what other people think.
On the way back to Lima from the retreat we stopped because myself and a couple of other girls had to use the restroom. Well, this was major culture shock let me tell ya. I opened this wooden door to this outside restroom and there is a cement slab with two elevated spots to place your feet, in the middle their is a small hole in the ground. The hole was to pee in and you had to do this standing up. This was a men/women's restroom. At first, I was like there is no way I am doing this but I had to go so badly that I didn't have any other options.
Jeremiah started his Inductive Bible Study class today and thinks he is really going to enjoy it. I will be able to sit in on this class on Wednesday and Thursday so I am excited about that.
Oh, and I am feeling much better now. I was sick most of last week so that was not much fun.
For those of you that would like to pray for us, please pray for:
-Health
-Safety
-Learning Spanish
-Our total surrender to His will for us while are here in Peru
-Direction for what the Lord wants for us after this semester
We love and miss you all! We love to hear from people so feel free to write anytime.
"If then you were raised with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ is, sitting at the right hand of God. Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth. For you, died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God." Colossians 3:1-3
Jer n Ser

1 comment:

Marcy said...

The scenery is surreal.

It is a gorgeous place, though be sure that I am worried about your safety in your travels.

Prayers for both of you while you are in SA.

Hugs,
Marcy, Tony & Ethan