Monday, March 7, 2011

3 day potty training method by Lora Jensen

So I am so extremely exhausted.......I have been following my son around in his undies and t-shirt every waking minute of his day....for the LAST 3 days...saying, "make sure you tell mommy if you have to go pee or poop, okay" and "Are your undies dry?, they are, GOOD JOB, make sure to keep your undies dry, okay"......100 times per day! AND basically waiting for him to have an accident...and running him to the potty. As I type this I am trying not to laugh out loud, it sounds quite comical:)

The first day- lots of accidents, lots of running to the potty, lots of dirty undies.....then by the end of the day he was looking at me with this panic look right before he was about to release with a look of 'help, what do I do??' And then he ran toward the bathroom a couple of times before he had to go.....which was a small step.

The second day- I was so tired of following him around every minute of the day....tired of all of it really, he still had a lot of accidents but I was able to read his potty face and get him on the potty in the middle of it quick enough to actually get some poop and pee into the toilet. He would start to run to the bathroom when he had the urge or tell me pee, we would go in there and then he would say done without doing anything and before I could sit him on the potty. Finally I decided to start telling him to hold it when he acted like he had to go and then set him on the potty....he would protest a bit...then I would distract him with anything I could think of...pics on my phone, keys, ABC's....and he was able to relax enough to go pee completely in the potty all by himself with no mess on the floor or undies. We ended the day on an encouraging note....

The third day....today- exhausted...but so excited.....he only had one pee accident today and he even pooped in the potty! He told me he had to poop, I didn't have to just read his face, and with the last two pees of the day he learned how to push it out, then stop, then push out some more....he was pushing so hard trying to figure it out that he was farting really loud....I was cracking up...lol!

I am sure there will be more accidents but I really do feel like he is getting it. I would recommend this book to anyone!! However, I recommend praying about how you might adapt it to your specific child's personality. The Lord has shown me a lot through this potty training boot camp of sorts.....how much I value my 'me' time, in a selfish way! It was a struggle to basically not do anything I wanted to do these past three days. He showed me that I lack commitment....in everyday things and even in my walk with Him....I give up easily. Through the Lord's encouragement we made it the three days...praise the Lord! He showed me that I needed to rest in Him....that this whole potty thing AND all things in life are in His hands and that I need to trust Him and believe that!! He also showed me that in whatever goal I am working at.....it doesn't matter if I achieve it....it is not a success unless I go about it in LOVE...in the way I treat others around me and the thoughts from my heart. Who knew you could learn so much from potty training a little guy!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The part about him farting b/c he was trying to push so hard made me crack up! :) haha. that's awesome that you stuck w/ it those three days, too. how is he doing now?
-Britney